We Can Help You Change Court Orders to Reflect Life Changes 

During a divorce, you and your former spouse make arrangements that favor you and your children at that point in your life. But your circumstances can change at any moment. If you need to make changes to your court orders due to a change in your finances, residency, or health, you need the assistance of a post-judgment modification lawyer. 

Family lawyer John Anthony Ward understands that change is difficult enough. He allows you to focus on your family while he files a strong petition for a modification to your current court order. If you need changes to your current spousal or child support agreement, schedule a free consultation with our firm or call us at (262) 654-8868.

A judge signing a document

While a judge can modify most spousal and child support court orders, a lawyer can help expedite the process and avoid unnecessary obstacles.

What Are Post-Judgment Modifications?

When you get a divorce, you and your former spouse will decide on spousal support, child support, child custody, and child visitation rights. Even if the initial decision was fair and agreed upon by both sides and a judge at the time, circumstances can change. After certain life-changing events, the spousal support or child custody orders that are in place may no longer suit everyone’s needs. The purpose of a post-judgment modification is to help ensure that these agreements are fair and work in the best interests of the child once again. 

Mr. Ward takes the time to understand your family's situation and work with you to ensure the post-judgment modification process is successful.

To secure a post-judgment modification, you and your former spouse will need to submit a petition to the court to modify the order. If the court determines that a significant change has taken place, the order may be adjusted. However, if the original order contains language that makes the order “non-modifiable,” there is a chance that it will not be changed.

Reasons for Post-Judgment Modifications

There are a number of circumstances that might warrant a modification to your post-judgment agreement, including: 

  • Change in income: If either you or your former spouse has a substantial change in income due to a loss of employment, it can impact your ability to pay alimony or child support. Alternatively, a new job may eliminate your need to receive support. 
  • Remarrying or moving in with a new partner: If one parent remarries or moves in with a new partner, their household income may drastically increase. If this is the case, they may no longer need to receive alimony or may need to pay higher child support
  • Relocation: If one parent moves out of state or to a new city, the current custody or visitation schedule may need to be modified. 
  • Substance abuse or illegal activity: If a parent is guilty of substance abuse or engages in criminal activity that might affect the well-being or safety of the child, their custody or visitation rights may be modified.
  • Health: If the mental or physical health of a parent deteriorates and they can no longer care for their child, a judge may have to readjust custody rights. 
  • Change in the child's needs: If the child’s needs change due to health complications, injury, age, or personal preferences, a modification may be in their best interests. 

The Role of a Lawyer in the Process

Because there are several stages to filing and settling a post-judgment modification, the process can be lengthy. A lawyer can guide you through the process to avoid unnecessary obstacles and ensure that your best interests and those of the child are represented. Throughout the process, Mr. Ward takes the time to understand your situation and work with you to ensure to a successful outcome. 

We Can Provide the Answers You Need 

If the circumstances surrounding your spousal or child custody agreements have changed, you have options. With the help of an attorney, you can make modifications to the court orders that serve the best interests of your entire family. To learn more about the process, contact John Anthony Ward, LLC at (262) 654-8868 or schedule a consultation online.

Contact Us

"Mr. Ward and his professional team proceeded tenaciously to build a strong case in my favor. His in-depth knowledge of the law resulted in my twelve year old felony becoming just a misdemeanor. Mr. Ward is the third attorney to work on my case, but the only one who achieved positive results."

Emily Rogers


Kenosha Office

3636 80th St
Kenosha, WI 53142

Open Today 8:00am - 5:30pm

Saturday and Sunday By Appointment Only


Contact Us